Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Saga of Dan and Hannah’s Boots (4 of 7)


A picture of Boots that our son Will took a few years ago.



Tuesday late afternoon

How can our neighbors resist these flyers!  They are bright, fluorescent green.   The first I give to a neighbor who cares for “Bootsy,” a second is left in the screen door when no one answers.  The third is for a neighbor who we wave to but have long since lost touch with.  He and I share a moment catching up.  His concern for our plight is genuine.  I wish I had done more to have such interactions.  Not to be his friend, but to be neighbors.  On the plus side, if I keep up this ratio in meeting neighbors today, it’s clear Meatloaf was right that two out of three ain’t bad.

It’s the same with the next neighbor who’s lived just a few houses away all the 29 years we’ve lived in York.  He asks specifically about the kids, especially wondering about Robyn, the soldier of ours.  I had no idea he cared.  Of course, how would I if I hadn’t talked to him in years?  It’s clear.  If I want to grow this community, I have the responsibility to take the first step.  I need to be more spontaneous and put myself “out there.”  Be a little more vulnerable.  It seems it’s drama, serious illness or death that gets us to leave the safety of our cocoon to meet a neighbor. Then I walk up the next driveway to explain my Boots story.  My neighbor shares it with his kids, who give me their laser focus and concern.  They are ready to march to Jerusalem with me.  I wouldn’t have recognized this Dad if I fell over him even though he’s lived on the street behind us for maybe 6, 8, or 10 years.  Am I too busy?  Too comfortable?  Too lazy?  Ouch.  

Going further down the street I meet two young fathers with six kids out playing.   I like these dads, too.  I know that I am coming in need, but as we talk, there seems to be a hunger to connect as none of us is in a hurry to disengage or move on.   I stick around.  Usually I have to borrow something or bring Hannah’s cookies to visit neighbors and just talk.  They all share their genuine concern for Boots.   Delivering flyers takes longer than I think it will, because I linger.  I am not so efficient as I thought I would be.  Maybe efficiency is part of the problem.  In a very small way, I feel that I am becoming a part of the neighborhood, at least for this moment.  I approach a backdoor neighbor who I have never met.  Literally back door.  He and his family must have lived here for five years.  Our half acre lots border for 100 feet, but there are woods and low lying wetlands between us.  Again, I wonder what would it take to become a real neighborhood.  

Though there have been no Boots sightings today (it’s only been 24 hours since he came waltzing up the driveway), I come home energized and renewed.  I am ready to spread the word tomorrow with more flyers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment