Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dan and Hannah Take Part in the AIDS Walk in Portsmouth, NH


HIV/AIDS?  

Where did it go?  It’s certainly not in the news as much anymore.  Fact is, it didn’t go anywhere.  There are currently 33 million people living with HIV/AIDS.   Since the beginning of the epidemic, AIDS has killed more than 25 million people worldwide, including more than 583,000 Americans. 

Some call it crisis fatigue, others compassion fatigue.  Daily I am inundated and ultimately desensitized with the media’s focus on the latest crisis/tragedy/ disaster, be it a tornado in Texas, a killing in Florida, an unpopular war in Afghanistan, or an obesity crisis.  They all merit our attention, but with cable news needing to feed its 24/7 monster, the barrage can be overwhelming.  Still, when I read that our First Parish Church in York, Maine is forming a team to walk to support the fight against AIDS and HIV, Hannah and I begin fundraising immediately. 

For some 15 years, AIDS Response – Seacoast organizes a spring 5K walk through downtown Portsmouth to raise money for their programs and services (e.g., Speaker’s Bureau, Prevention Education, transportation to and from medical appointments).  Recently retired, I am looking for activities with goals bigger than myself while working in concert with others.  To be part of a team.  The First Parish Church AIDS Walk team is right up my alley.  I am reminded of a favorite bumper sticker of mine - We are all God’s children – No exceptions.  I am pleased that First Parish supports the AIDS walk.

With teaming, relationships follow.  In fact, on the day of the AIDS Walk, before the main organizer sends us out, he asks us all why are we walking today?  Sure, I want to raise money and awareness, but primarily I’m walking to build relationships.  The folks at Authentic Happiness identify five components to well-being: positive emotion, engagement, relationships, meaning and purpose, and accomplishment.  They all matter, but today my focus is on building relationships.

Having raised nearly $400 as part of the First Parish Church team, Hannah and I head out on a sixty-degree afternoon in early May.   Starting at 2P, I immediately realize that these are walkers are so slow.  It’s a parade of turtles and snails.  I think, aren’t we going to get some exercise today, folks.   It’s a beautiful day.  Let’s pick up the pace.  As an over-the-edge exerciser, be it hiking, biking, or just exhausting myself til I am staggering after a gym workout, I can be a pain in the butt in my focus on getting a good workout.  But not 30 seconds into the walk, I get it.  Danny my boy, it’s about connecting with other walkers.  Remember?  And please, lighten up for goodness sakes.  

Some men my age are my first walking partners.  It’s the usual ice-breaking small talk about the weather which morphs into talk about our lives.  (By the way, I don’t see talking about the weather as trivial and superficial.  It gives me an opening with another, a starting point, leading into more in-depth conversation.)   I then talk with a man who recently lost his partner.  I mostly listen.  A vice president of the local alliance is my next conversationalist.  Finally I conclude the walk with two fellow churchgoers, a local connection.  And damn, if the hour plus hasn’t zipped by.  I actually enjoyed myself without having to get my heart rate up.

Stonewall Kitchen is the prime sponsor while Longhorn Steakhouse donates burgers and grilled chicken for the post-walk picnic.  We hear that $25,000 has been raised as we sit at picnic tables in the parking lot having those conversations that build connections and relationships. 

May my road in retirement be filled with many relationships.


If you are so inclined to walk in Portsmouth, NH this May 6th, check out the AIDS Response Seacoast link. 

No comments:

Post a Comment